We are looking for a Quantitative Analyst to join our team in London.
We want to inspire the world to forecast correctly and empower it to tackle risk, using our unique ability to forecast the outcomes of construction projects. We are demystifying delays, helping people to plan and execute projects effectively, and building the world’s largest infrastructure bank in the process.
We are a data driven company heavily focused around product and technology, with engineering squads (we use the Spotify model) that align directly to user needs, and have a lot of autonomy. You will be part of one of a newly formed squad, working in collaboration with Data Scientists, Machine Learning, Software and Data Engineers from other squads to create pricing engines and quantify the profitability of our new insurance strategies.
We're working with some of the largest infrastructure projects in the world (think HS2, Heathrow, Crossrail), which means an opportunity to have a significant impact on the world around us, and improve what it will look like in the future, from the very first day. You’ll be joining a world class and very well funded team, backed by top investors including GV (formerly known as Google Ventures) that all believe in the future we are creating. We’ve been on a tremendous growth trajectory for the last three years, and thanks to our latest $18.5m investment round we have even more ambitious growth plans for 2021 and beyond, scaling our product and team at an exciting pace.
What we need you to do:
You will temporarily report to the Science Director, and work in very tight collaboration with our diverse technical teams, as well as the commercial team trying to create a completely new type of parametric insurance for projects. You will have a lot of autonomy to create new tools and explore new strategies, so will have to be self-guided in the exploration of what’s possible.
- You will be responsible for ensuring that our dataset is up to scratch for testing insurance strategies.
- You will create and maintain parametric backtesters, strategy descriptions languages, pricing models, and any other tools that will be relevant to creating effective insurance products.
- You will collaborate with the commercial team in defining the free parameters of commercial contracts and their boundaries, as well as working with insurer and reinsurer teams on the packaging of insurance portfolios.
- You will work in a very collaborative environment, with a mix of Software Engineers, Data Scientists, ML Engineers, Risk Engineers, and various other roles.
We need you to have:
- Strong mathematical and statistical skills
- Deep understanding of forecasting
- PhD-level (or equivalent) in a technical discipline
- Understanding of how to create pricing strategies
- Understanding of how to backtest various strategies and measure their performance
We would like you to have:
- Specialised knowledge of insurance and/or options pricing
- Knowledge of extreme statistics
- Proficiency in Python and associated Data Science libraries and tools (pandas, numpy, seaborn, matplotlib, scipy)
- Familiarity with version-control systems (git or similar), testing and code review processes
- Please mention the word 'crane' in our questionnaire
- Understanding of SQL (BigQuery, MySQL, …)
- Strong coding skills
The typical nPlanauts are:
- Generally curious about the world.
- Serious, without taking themselves too seriously.
- Able to define their own work independently.
- Proactive about improving the world around them.
- Open-minded about new technical ideas.
- Willing to change their mind on the basis of the evidence.
What working at nPlan will be like:
- We're still a small team so there's plenty of opportunity for a high degree of ownership over different areas of the product, and you will be directly exposed to all areas of the business.
- Your voice will always be heard. What you do or say counts, not who you are or where you're from.
- We have three core values that underlie everything we do: Learn from Everything, Be Radically Truthful, and Aim High, Run Fast. These enable us to create a collaborative, inclusive environment where we can move effectively and efficiently to implement the best solutions.
- We are a cross-disciplinary team, and come from all backgrounds and countries.
- Fantastic benefits package for Health & Wellbeing, Learning & Development, family leave, weekly team lunches and more.
- We give all employees share options in the company - these have the potential to grow in value significantly if we continue on our current trajectory (though it’s important to know that the value of shares can go down as well as up)
- We are committed to addressing the diversity problem in the tech industry, and that starts with making sure we have a diverse team where everyone feels at home and can contribute as an equal.
- Having time to yourself and a private life is important. We offer a very flexible work environment and a generous holiday policy.