We're looking for a Client Data Scientist to join our team in London.
We want to inspire the world to forecast correctly and empower it to tackle risk, using our unique ability to forecast the outcomes of construction projects. We are demystifying delays, helping people to plan and execute projects effectively, and building the world’s largest infrastructure bank in the process.
A crucial step on this journey is the delivery of deep insights about very large project forecasts - this is where you come in. In this role, you’ll be working with client project teams to help tailor insights to their use-case, and prototyping ideas that will help shape the nPlan product. You will report to the Client Data Science chapter lead while working collaboratively with our Tech, Design, and Commercial teams to solve some of the most challenging problems facing the construction industry.
We're working with some of the largest infrastructure projects in the world (think HS2, Heathrow, Crossrail), which means an opportunity to have a significant impact on the world around us, and improve what it will look like in the future, from the very first day. You’ll be joining a world class and very well funded team, backed by top investors including GV (formerly known as Google Ventures) that all believe in the future we are creating. We’ve been on a tremendous growth trajectory for the last three years, and thanks to our latest $18.5m investment round we have even more ambitious growth plans for 2021 and beyond, scaling our product and team at an exciting pace.
We are a data-driven company focused on product and customer success. Using Spotify-style engineering squads that align directly to user needs, we’re able to direct work efficiently to help reach our goals. You will be part of one of the squads that focus on customer success, working in collaboration with other Client Data Scientists, Risk Engineers, Technical Account Managers, and Machine Learning, Software and Data Engineers to help our clients draw valuable insight from our product and datasets.
What we need you to do:
- Drive big data exploration from the front, with the intention of finding new insights and visualisations for our clients - helping reduce delays on major projects from day one!
- Help with the communication and presentation of these insights to client project teams, as part of the Client Data Science chapter
- Help to understand the gap between client need and the product, and prototype tools to bridge that gap in collaboration with our diverse technical teams
We need you to have:
- An undergraduate degree (or above) in Mathematics, Computer Science or another numerical subject (or equivalent experience)
- Experience using Python and associated Data Science libraries and tools (pandas, numpy, seaborn, matplotlib, scipy), with a strong data visualisation component
- Proactive stakeholder management and communication skills, to identify problems and quickly iterate on new solution prototypes
- An ability to translate client questions into actions that lead to either prototypes or reports that satisfy the (sometimes implicit) need
- Strong collaboration skills, allowing you to work closely with Software Engineers, Data Scientists, ML Engineers, Risk Engineers, and various other roles. You will have to be comfortable communicating the client agenda to the product teams and bring as much product feedback to product management as possible.
We would like you to have:
- Experience in self-driven exploration of datasets and communication of results to stakeholders
- Familiarity with version-control systems (git or similar), testing and code review processes
- Understanding of SQL (BigQuery, MySQL, …)
- Attention to detail is important - please mention the word ‘crane’ in your application
- Strong coding skills
- A solid understanding of Probability Theory
The typical nPlanauts are:
- Generally curious about the world.
- Serious, without taking themselves too seriously.
- Able to define their own work independently.
- Proactive about improving the world around them.
- Open-minded about new technical ideas.
- Willing to change their mind on the basis of the evidence.
What working at nPlan will be like:
- We're still a small team so there's plenty of opportunity for a high degree of ownership over different areas of the product, and you will be directly exposed to all areas of the business.
- Your voice will always be heard. What you do or say counts, not who you are or where you're from.
- We have three core values that underlie everything we do: Learn from Everything, Be Radically Truthful, and Aim High, Run Fast. These enable us to create a collaborative, inclusive environment where we can move effectively and efficiently to implement the best solutions.
- We are a cross-disciplinary team, and come from all backgrounds and countries.
- Fantastic benefits package for Health & Wellbeing, Learning & Development, family leave, weekly team lunches and more.
- We give all employees share options in the company - these have the potential to grow in value significantly if we continue on our current trajectory (though it’s important to know that the value of shares can go down as well as up)
- We are committed to addressing the diversity problem in the tech industry, and that starts with making sure we have a diverse team where everyone feels at home and can contribute as an equal.
- Having time to yourself and a private life is important. We offer a very flexible work environment and a generous holiday policy.